Monday, April 28, 2008

One is the Loneliest Number...Whatever!



Jeff's out tonight.  He's playing softball in this insanely cold weather.  When he left the house, he looked more like he was going skiing than playing softball.  We should have fun when Charlie starts soccer tomorrow.

So, I have a confession to make.  I kind of like a night here and there where he's out.   Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my husband, and more than that, I absolutely love his company.  And it doesn't really matter what we're doing - I just love hanging out with him.  Which is actually one of the reasons I married him.  I thought to myself, "I could hang out with this guy for the next 50 years." - so I reeled him in.  Or he reeled me in - depending on who's telling the story.

But on the occasional night when he has a commitment, I kind of enjoy the prospect of some time to myself.  Usually, on those nights, I don't really make dinner.  The kids get some mac and cheese or in the case of this evening, chicken nuggets and french fries on paper plates.  No dishes... no whining that they don't like what I've made... perfect.  Then when they're finished, I scrounge around and eat whatever sounds good to me.  Tonight it was a combination of (no kidding) french fries, cookies, and cake batter.  (I'm making cupcakes for tomorrow - so why not!)  I would never make a  habit of such a menu, but for tonight, I kind of enjoyed it!
(By the way - Jeff had a night to himself last week and he went to the store, bought a t-bone, grilled it with a side of baked potatoes and corn - hmmmmmmmm)

The next step will involve putting my kids to bed at a ridiculously early time for some "reading" knowing perfectly well that they will all crash and be asleep within 20 minutes.  I will then put on my pj's and climb into bed and watch "Dancing With the Stars."  When that's over, I'll probably read a little and be asleep by 9.  Love it!

So - time to fess up ladies... what do you do when you have a moment to yourself?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stop by Byerly's and get a salad bar and a peanut butter killer brownie. In my mind, the calories counter balance! The kids eat eggo waffles for dinner (they love it). I put them to bed early and watch Jon & Kate plus Eight on TLC every Monday night while my husband is at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Huddle. I totally hear ya on this one!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I am so with you on the having a night alone. In our house we usually toast up PB and honey and a treat. Bath, books, and bed are usually done by 7. Then there is the time for myself (if I can make it without falling asleep) I like to watch tv, or catch up on my reading, with what ever book I am trying to concour.
Thanks for the laugh.
Theresa Edelen