Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grace For the Moment


My heart is overwhelmed tonight. I got to spend a few precious minutes with a dear high school friend this afternoon. Amy and I were thrown together in a choir group in the 10th grade - and she quickly became one of my closest friends in high school. I haven't seen her for many, many years, but recently I heard that she had cancer. After tracking her down, I learned that they had discovered Stage 2 breast cancer when she was 12 weeks pregnant with her second child - and despite treatment, it has progressed into her spine.

Today, some high school classmates held a benefit and I was able to see Amy. She is exactly like I always remembered her... upbeat, bubbly, and filled with an uncanny ability to make you feel like you are the most important person in the world. We tried to find a quiet spot and she pulled her chair close to mine and began to ask about what I was doing and about my family. As I told her about my life she beamed, "Oh, Kristie... your life is everything you always dreamed it would be... I am so thrilled for you!"

As we talked, I was overwhelmed by her strength. I was overwhelmed by her courage. She has videotaped hundreds of messages for her children to watch of her as they grow older, so they will always have a piece of her with them. Videos for their wedding day. Videos for the day they become parents. Videos reminding them how much she loves them and how proud she is to be their mother.

I look at her and say, "I can't believe how strong you are." And she speaks profound words to me. She says, "If you were in my shoes, you would be too. You just would." I can't imagine facing what she is facing, but somehow, I believe her. She seems to be drawing from a place in her that she never knew existed until she was faced with this incredible battle.

I've have indeed experienced those times when I felt like I wasn't strong enough to handle what was sitting before me. Small and trite compared to my friend's struggles - nevertheless I have seen the grace of God flood over me in a rush of supernatural adrenaline that has allowed me to face the moments where I felt I couldn't take a second more.

Today, the words of a new favorite song have been constantly ringing through my head:

Stronger. You are stronger.
Sin is broken. You have saved me.
It is written. Christ is risen.
Jesus You are Lord of all.

I am thankful that I have a God who is stronger than me. He is stronger than my deepest fears and lowliest moments. In my weakest...He is strongest.

I am indeed thankful for the grace for the moment.

No comments: