Monday, June 9, 2008

And so it begins...

It took 36 hours, 5 minutes, and 3 seconds before I heard it.  Not a world record, perhaps, but close.  I was brushing my teeth, happy to have a minute to myself when a little person appeared before me and uttered the words, "Mom, I'm bored."

Bored?  Already?  COME ON!  I thought I was supposed to get at LEAST a week of summer vacation in before my kids came to me with the "There's nothing to do" pout.  So I did what all good mothers do, I started rattling off the list of OBVIOUS things that she could do to fill the vast void left by her lack of public school education.  "Read a book."  "Do a craft."  "Go outside."  "Play on the computer."  "Practice your piano lesson."  Each suggestion brought about both a groan and a roll of the eye as to say, "Yeah right, Mom, you're ideas are so laaaame." 

Now, I love having my kids home for summer vacation.  I miss my babies all year long.  Not to mention that the Kerr family naturally gravitates to a more laid back schedule.  Already, my kids are staying up late, sleeping in late, and Jeff and I have breathed a collective sigh of relief knowing that we don't have to remember all the details that school days accrue.

But, how to keep them entertained... that is a question for the ages isn't it?

So here are my top 3 ideas for summertime fun:
  1. The Dollar Store:  I make frequent (if not weekly) trips with my kids to pick up summertime essentials from the dollar store.  Particular favorites are the extra large bubble wands, sidewalk chalk, balls, and water balloons.  I also picked up some math and reading workbooks and flash cards for those "indoor' days.  It's cheap enough to go in often for a fresh round of summer fun.
  2. Friends:  I always wanted to be the house where all the kids could come and hang out and have fun, but I found it harder to do once I actually had kids.  I found myself not wanting to mess up my house, or my routine, or the ease that comes from just having your own kids around.  But I am learning that nothing breaks up the summertime blahs like a good friend.  My Charlie was just lamenting about not being able to play video games (we have some summertime rules to keep the boy from turning into a video-game-zombie), when a neighborhood friend stopped by to play.  Now, I'm watching my son run around the back yard shooting pretend lasers out of his fingers.  Lucy is wearing a path between the neighbors house and ours while the girls walk from one to the other... playing, conning snacks out of both mothers, and generally entertaining each other.  So, even though it means more runs to Sams Club for an extra large box of Cheez-Its and Freeze Pops, it's worth it to me to see my kids having fun.  Not to mention, I'm a huge believer in the power of influence.  I hope that every moment these kids spend in my home somehow plants a seed that could point them closer to Jesus.  So, you gotta have friends.
  1. Create:  Kids are so naturally imaginative.  I love to give my kids a project and watch them use their gifts.  Lucy shows an interest in music and songwriting, so I've given her a challenge this summer to write five songs.  I gave her a lyric journal to write down her ideas, and  we've been spending time every day working on her songs and its been a blast.  If your kid likes to read, give them a challenge to read a certain amount of books.  If they like to write, have them come up with a character and let them write a book about them on the computer and then send it away to get it bound and printed.    If they like to cook, buy them a kids cookbook and put them in  charge of the grocery list and a meal or two a week.  If they like animals, have them research them on the internet and come up with a presentation to give the rest of the family.  My video game boy and I are planning a party based on his favorite video game character and we have been coming up with games, and costumes, and ideas for the party.  
Tap into what is interesting to them and find a way to make it a long term project.  It will not only entertain them, its a great way for you to enforce what's important to them and show them that you're interested in what interests them. 

So those are my ideas.  Now I want to hear yours.  How do you entertain your kids in the summer?

1 comment:

Nancy Holte said...

Well, my kids are now officially in charge of entertaining themselves, but I can still remember having a blast making mud pies when I was a kid. Of course, this requires having a section of dirt in your yard, which we did. Mud pies are made more beautiful by adding twigs, leaves, rocks and the like.

Another fun activity is to put shaving cream on a blown up balloon and "shave" it off with a dull knife. Of course, if you can supervise the event, use a razor and see who can get it done without popping the balloon.

My very creative sister-in-law used to have pie fights with her kids using spray whip cream and aluminum pie tins. Maybe we'll do that at our family gathering this week!